Many of us get puzzled when we connect SD card or USB device into USB port and receive the message “Device is not recognized” or “The device is corrupted and unreadable” and we spend hours investigating how to solve this problem.
Repair Corrupted Card and USB
This is the most commonly used procedure for repairing corrupted SD card and USB connected.
- Open My PC / My Computer / This Computer
- Select the damaged drive and right click.
- Click Format from the drop-down menu.
- Restore defaults in the Popup window.
- Click Start to begin the formatting process.
- Click OK in the next dialogue box.
The formatting process completed in a few moments and you will have your USB or SD memory repaired. You can turn off the “Quick Format” option if you want deep scan of the drive, but this will take time. So, disable this option only if you fail on the first try.
#2 Repair via CMD
To do this, you have to enter some CMD commands for formatting damaged SD memory card or USB.
- Connect the damaged USB or SD memory card to the computer.
- Move the mouse cursor over the Start button and right click.
- Click Command Prompt (Administrator). CMD window will open.
- Type “diskpart” and press “Enter”.
- Type “list disk” and press “Enter”. A list of all the storage devices connected to the computer will be displayed.
- Type “select disk” and press “Enter”. (Example: select disk 1)
Important: Make sure you enter the number correctly. Otherwise, you can format the internal hard drive.
- Type “clean” and press “Enter”.
- Then type “create partition primary” and press “Enter”.
- Type “active” and then type “select partition 1”.
- Format Type “fs = fat32” and press “Enter”.
#3 Formatting at Low Level
This is the latest and most advanced method repair corrupted card and USB. To format corrupted SD card or USB we required these things.
- Internet connection and PC computer with windows 7 OS or latest.
- Download and install software called “HDD Low Level Format Tool”.
- Be sure that the corrupted device is connect via USB port, which is directly attached to the motherboard.
How to format?
- Install “HDD Low Level Format Tool” software to your computer that you download from internet.
- Now plug the corrupted device to your computer.
- Start the program by running the Shortcut created on the desktop.
- The program recognize all storage devices that are connected to your computer.
- Choose or select the device that you want to format and press “Continue” button. Make sure you Select the correct device before move to the next step.
- Select the tab: “LOW-LEVEL FORMAT” and press “FORMAT THIS DEVICE” button, now only wait for the application to finish the process.
You can use “Sandisk Rescue Pro” to recover photos, videos and other files from SD card and USB or read “How to recover deleted data” for step by step data recovery.